Monday, July 16, 2012

The Everyday


It’s a funny thing when your days spent in another country begin to feel like the everyday.  When the excitement of living abroad dies down, and you really start to feel like you’re just living your life, day in and day out, going to work, hanging with friends, going to sleep… and you sometimes have to remind yourself, “Look around! You’re in Chile! Everyone’s speaking another language! Wake up and smell the Nuts4Nuts!”

It’s when you get to this point that you also start to feel like it’s strange to write a blog entry about your everyday life… which is my excuse for why I haven’t done so in over six months! But here I am, taking a stab at it, so that whoever might be interested might know what I’m up to now, after nearly one year living in Santiago, Chile.

It was around the four month marker that I began to really enjoy living here in Santiago. When I had a good group of friends, when I started to actually understand Chilean Spanish, when I felt like I could easily navigate this huge city, and when I started to feel really close to the girls at the hogar and therefore really started enjoying going to work there every day. (If this ridiculously long blog entry isn’t enough, and you want to read more about my love for the girls at the hogar, you can check out the blog entry I wrote for VE here).

On Christmas Eve, I went to the hogar and spent it outside in the 90-degree heat with my girls; and laughed as I watched them shake their asses to Reggaeton blaring from the speakers, instead of sweetly singing Christmas carols by a fire. In February, the girls went on vacation to the beautiful Chilean coast, and I went with them. Slept in a room of 20-some bunk beds, and tried to ignore the 3-year-old having a crying fit in the middle of the night because she didn’t want to get up to pee. And in the day, walked the 40-minute hike to the beach with all 16 girls and a few tias, and happily watched them splash around in the beautiful, clear (but cold!) water. In April, I excitedly took the girls to VE’s Festival de Arte (my favorite VE program), and filmed their awesome performances of singing or dancing like a giddy soccer mom. In June, when it started to get really cold here in Chile, I cuddled with the girls on the couch under blankets as we sat as close as possible to the single space heater in the hogar, giggling about things I can’t remember now.


Later in June, I received the news that the hogar, where I volunteered for nine months, was closing down due to mainly financial reasons. I sat with all the girls at the huge picnic-like-table where we’ve shared so many almuerzos, onces and cenas, listened to their sobbing and stroked their backs as the directors announced the news to them all. And I’ve said goodbye, one by one or two by two, as each girl has packed up their stuff and moved on to another hogar; a process that was extremely hard at first, with lots tears and sugar water. But a process that, after the third or fouth despedida, seems most of us have become immune to. Despedidas where we eat junk food and cake and go around the table, each girl and tia having to say the same kind words to the one scheduled to leave that day: “que te vaya bien en tu nuevo hogar,” “te quiero mucho con todo mi corazón,” “te voy a extrañar” ...it was not the way I imagined saying goodbye to the girls, this slow drawn-out process (I definitely would have preferred the rip-the-bandaid-off approach), especially since I thought I still had three months left to spend with them all.

Six girls now remain at the hogar, six out of sixteen, waiting for their turn to move on. When I go there now, it’s strange… the atmosphere completely different. It’s much quieter, no screaming or fighting, no one running around the house or throwing dirt on the patio, no dance competitions or girls fighting for their turn on the computer. This new, calm hogar is not the hogar I knew and loved, but I try to enjoy the rare peace and quiet and the one-on-one time I can have with the few girls who remain.  

Just the other day I went to the hogar and was told that the youngest girl, well the youngest girl now, and also one of my favorites (although maybe I shouldn’t admit that), was upstairs in her room, with bronchitis. I went up to say hi to her, see how she was doing, and found her lying there in her bed, toying with a broken camera, looking absolutely bored out of her mind (and not so sick at all). She looked happy to see me, but immediately asked me if I had any paper and colored pencils for her to color with. I went downstairs to retrieve some and we spent the next hour in her room coloring, something I’ve done many times with the girls at the hogar, but rarely one-on-one, and rarely did it seem to mean so much. But this sick little girl was so happy to have something to do, and someone to do it with. And I felt like that one hour spent alone with her in her room coloring, was one of the most fulfilling hours in all my time at the hogar. As I was walking out the door that evening, I heard her little voice behind me, and she happily handed me a big piece of paper that said “ALISOS te kiero muco” (translation: ALLISON I love you so much), then ran back up to her room while the strict tia eyed her angrily for coming downstairs without permission. And as I walked out of the gate, she shouted and waved from her window “Chao, Tia Allison! Chao!” But it’s not goodbye yet, not really. I still have three months left. Three months where I hope to visit the girls often at their new hogares, at least for a chance to say goodbye for real.

The closing of the hogar came at a strangely convenient time for me, though. I had just started working in the office of VE Global, as the Coordinator of Communications and Development, taking over where my friend, Nola, had left off. It was meant to be a part-time and completely volunteer job, where I would spend half my time in the office and half in the hogar. But with the hogar closing, and with Jamie, the Director of Communications and Development, finishing up her time here in Chile, it ended up working out strangely perfectly that they needed me to start full-time anyway. And so began my new Chilean life, working every day in the office, and going into the hogar for a few hours here and there when I can, as VE Global looks for a new Director of Communications and Development, and I try my best to serve as the temporary one.  

So now it is July, my first ever cold July, my eleventh month in Santiago, Chile, and my work here has completely changed. I loved volunteering at the hogar, and absolutely adore the girls there, but I was also ready for something different. And as it turns out, I love working in the office. I’m learning lots of new skills in areas that I never really thought to delve into (Communications? Resource Development? Who knew?) and enjoy the feeling of actually accomplishing something at the end of the day, and really seeing the results (something that doesn’t happen too often when you work in an hogar).

But I’m also starting to feel the end of the year coming. And home is calling my name. One year is a long time to be away from your family, your friends, and the places, food, and comforts you know and love. Especially when your friends abroad, who become your family abroad, all leave you behind as they return home themselves.

I love Chile, with all its quirks and oddities, and despite its horrible customer service, pedestrians who always seem to be in your way, the smog that makes me feeling like I always have a cold, and freezing my ass off because there is no heating in the wintertime. I love completos, churrascos, onces, Chilean wine and the endless supply of palta. I love the way the Andes mountains look covered in snow on the rare smog-less day, and the amazing view they create against a foreground of skyscrapers and palm trees. 


I love that you can get almost anything, almost anywhere, on the streets of Santiago. It rains, and there are people selling umbrellas right outside the metro. It’s hot, and you can get an ice cream from the vendor who just hopped on the bus. It’s cold, and stands pop up selling warm tights, gloves, and socks. And the smell of those Nuts4Nuts carts on every other block... the fact that I haven’t actually succumbed to buying their amazing-smelling candied nuts absolutely blows my mind. But above all, I love the amazing girls, all 16 of them, that I’ve spent nearly every day with for the last eleven months, who I will miss terribly when I have to really say goodbye. 

But what am I saying? My year in Chile isn’t over yet! I still have three months left to enjoy living in this awesome country. And that’s exactly what I plan to do: enjoy it.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Santiago, Chile
I like to jump. A lot. I also like to travel.

Followers