Monday, August 29, 2011

Off to Chile

Santiago, Chile



Well, folks, I'm off again. This time to Santiago, Chile!

My year as an au pair in Barcelona was absolutely fantástico and, needless to say, when I returned to the States in October 2010, I was eager for more. Travel, that is. I was also determined to continue with the Spanish before it all dwindled away. But at the same time I wanted to experience something new. So returning to Spain, as much as I loved it, just wouldn't do, considering how many Spanish-speaking countries there are out there. I also wanted to give my degree in Human Development and Family Studies a run for its money, so something in social work would definitely be mejor. And, obviously, the work would need to be with children, claro.

I was rambling on about this one day to my dear friend, Leah, as we sat in Starbucks catching up over a white mocha, skim, no whip, and an extra shot of espresso (me) and green tea (her), when she suddenly perked up. A friend of hers from college, a fellow Peace Studies major, went to Chile to volunteer with children and she absolutely loved it. In fact, she loved it so much that she never left, and was hired by the program to work full-time. So Leah suggested I check out the program, just to see if it might be a good fit. Why not? I had no better ideas (read: no ideas). And simply knowing someone who had been with the program, not to mention loved it, was a big plus. So I did check it out and, whadya know, it was just what I was looking for.  (Thanks, Leah! I owe you one.)

Now I am 4 days away from my departure to Chile, where I will be living for a year, working as a full-time volunteer with VE Global. Most of my time will be spent at Fundación La Promesa, a group home for young girls, but some of my time will also be spent working in a VE committee. So I get to work with children, continue with my Spanish, AND learn the ins and outs of a non-profit organization. And the rest of the time I get to explore beautiful Santiago! The only catch? It’s completely volunteer – i.e. no pay whatsoever. Which is why I spent the last 10 months living at home in Pittsburgh (which was actually totally enjoyable), working full-time in a restaurant (which was NOT so enjoyable), and working part-time as a nanny (totally enjoyable), putting as much as I could away, hoping that I would have enough to support myself for a year. And garshdarnit, I think I managed to do it (all scary, unforeseen costs aside).

So I’m off again! And if yinz guyz are at all interested in hearing about my experiences, you know where to look! (Note: it’s the same blog, but new URL… aupairbarcelona.blogspot just didn’t quite fit anymore). And the next time I write a post, I’ll be in Santiago, Chile! ¿Qué?

2 comments:

  1. Hooray! I'm BEYOND excited that you'll be blogging again. And BEYOND excited for your new adventures...so much love and luck to you!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Santiago, Chile
I like to jump. A lot. I also like to travel.

Followers