Saturday, September 17, 2011

Backwards Seasons and All-Chilean Hot Dogs

Two weeks ago, I stumbled into Hostal Providencia in downtown Santiago with a year’s worth of luggage and a pocket full of Chilean Pesos, not quite sure what I was getting myself into. I welcomed the fact that I was the first of the volunteers to arrive, simply so I could sneak in a few hours of sleep before venturing out into this big, unknown city. I lay in my bunk bed in the freezing cold hostel room and wondered when the other volunteers would arrive, what they and the VE staff would be like, and wasn’t it summer just yesterday? Why is it so freakin’ cold?

Now I sit in my very own room in my “new” apartment, still shivering, but looking back on those long, cold days in the hostel very fondly. Eventually, all 13 of the other VE Global volunteers did arrive, and because of our week-long stay in very close quarters and a 10-day long orientation, we got to know each other quite well.  And what an awesome group we make, if I do say so myself. From England, Germany, Australia, and the US, we all have made our way to Chile for much the same reasons: to improve our Spanish, and to spend time with the less-fortunate children of Santiago, hoping to brighten their days and maybe even their futures.



The VE Global staff also proved to be an awesome bunch - full of energy, a great sense of humor, and an obvious love of VE, it’s volunteers and the children we serve. They presented us with a number of “charlas” on the various institutions and programs of VE, the history of Chile, health and safety in Santiago, culture shock, Chilean etiquette and the typical Chilean “comida” (Who knew that hot dogs were not only big in America? In fact, they might be a bigger deal here. With whole isles dedicated to the wieners in the grocery store, street vendors on every other block, and tasty topping combinations like avacado, tomato and mayo. My grandpa would've loved it here). They also provided us with educational training, had guest speakers talk about child protective services and Chilean slang, took us on field trips and gave us loads of advice. AND they provided meals for us every day (and not just any meals, but very healthy, home-cooked, often vegetarian, vegan and/or gluten-free, and surprisingly delicious meals).  Did I even mention the epic scavenger hunt that got us out and about in beautiful Santiago? – and that my team WON, thanks to one fearless Australian:

Yes, he is lip to lip with a disgusting, discarded fish head (at Mercado Central)


Needless the say, VE orientation was a blast. And although I can’t deny that I am still quite nervous about starting my work in a house full of 14 fast-talking Chilean girls, I feel much more prepared now than when I first touched down on chilly Chilean ground two weeks ago. With my belly full of good food, my head full of loads of new information, a group of good friends all in the same boat, and a staff that really is there for us, I think I’m as ready as I’ll ever be to begin life as a volunteer here in Santiago, Chile.


Muchísimas gracias a Josh, Mariah, Faith, Jamie, Lily, los “antiguos”  and the “newbies” for an awesome start to what looks like it's going to be an awesome year!

And much love to my family and friends back home! I promise to tell you more about Santiago itself and, of course, my first week working with the girls, as soon as I get a chance.

Un abrazo!

~Allison

Here are some photos of beautiful Santiago (courtesy of some fellow volunteers, as I have been slacking in terms of picture-taking. I know, not like me at all)...






2 comments:

  1. Great start Allison-- to your year and your blog...
    lots of love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, glad you like it. Viel Spaß!! Nina

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Santiago, Chile
I like to jump. A lot. I also like to travel.

Followers